Growing up, my Oma attended an annual Bourbon Ball party with the ladies she used to work with. It was a great excuse to get together around the Christmastime to create an incredible no-bake dessert. They would chat for hours, rolling these little balls of delight. At the end of the night, they got to bring home plenty to share. Here is my adaptation of the best Rum and Bourbon Ball Recipe: it is gluten-free, grain-free, and vegan. It is almost refined sugar-free as well, if you switch out the powdered sugar on the outside!
Dark Rum & Bourbon Ball Recipe (GF & DF)
- 2 boxes Simple Mills Pecan Almond Flour Crunchy Cookies
- 16 oz Pecans
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dipping if sugar-free, use Monkfruit sweetener powdered sugar from Whole Foods or roll the balls in pecans, cookie crumbs, or coconut flakes.***
- Using a food processor, blitz Simple Mills cookies until they are a cookie crumb texture. Place into a large bowl.
- Blitz the pecans in the food processor until crumb sized. Make sure not to overmix or the pecans will become sticky and cakey. Place into large bowl with cookie crumbs.
- Add the dark rum, bourbon, honey, cocoa powder and vanilla in a separate bowl, then mix all these ingredients into the large bowl containing the crumb mixture. Combine until well mixed.
- Set out about 1-2 cups of powdered sugar in a bowl to use for rolling (or pureed pecans or cookie crumbs, whatever you prefer). Using hands, roll balls of your size choice (usually 1/2″ is good) and dip into the powdered sugar until completely covered. Keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. When re-serving, sprinkle more powdered sugar over the bourbon balls to refresh the powder coating.