There is nothing more comforting than an bowl of creamy butternut squash soup. I love a good chunky chicken noodle soup or classic tuscan bean soup as well. But sometimes you just want to have that smooth, silky, melt-in-your-mouth kind of soup to be able to dip freshly baked bread into. The coconut milk adds a delectable creaminess while the Italian spices and garlic add a warmth and savoriness that is a nice contrast to the usual cinnamon and sweet butternut squash soup recipes. Of course, presentation is everything. So if you really want to delight your family, make sure to bake some long-fermented sourdough focaccia bread to serve it with. Feel free to grab out the nice bowls too. Don’t forget to garnish with Italian spices, fresh parsley, chopped herbs, chili flakes, or fresh cracked pepper! My favorite Italian spice blend is straight from Italy!
Butternut Squash Soup Additions and Substitutions
If you don’t need your soup to be vegan, feel free to substitute out the following ingredients;
- the olive oil for butter
- the vegetable stock for chicken broth
- the coconut milk for fresh raw milk
You will definitely not be disappointed! I would argue though that the vegan version is absolutely delicious on its own though and that you could very happily enjoy this satiating meal whether or not you are vegan. Also, feel free to substitute fresh garlic cloves for garlic powder. I know many people have sensitivities to garlic which is why I put in garlic powder, but either way works. Add more to taste if you feel a cold coming on (garlic has incredible antibiotic properties!) or if you just like the taste. Also, if you want to make this soup even more hearty and protein-rich, you could always blend in cooked chickpeas for a thicker consistency, or you can use the chicken stock as mentioned.
Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 green apple sliced and cored
- 2 carrots chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1-2 teaspoons Italian spices oregano, thyme, rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can coconut cream or coconut milk
- 3 cups organic vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C).
- In a large bowl, combine the butternut squash, olive oil, Italian spices, salt, and garlic powder. Mix together, coating the squash well. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In the same bowl that the butternut squash was in, toss the apple slices, onion, and carrots to coat oil and spices. Place on a second rimmed baking sheet. Place both baking sheets in the oven and roast for 35-40 minutes.
- Heat up olive oil over medium heat in a large pot on the stove. Add the roasted ingredients and then the vegetable stock. Add salt and more spices to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, combine all ingredients until smooth, or transfer to a blender to puree. Serve warm. Garnish with additional chili flakes, ground pepper, or Italian spices.